Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Can of Worms

     Originally, I began reading and writing about a House bill that would require students in charter schools throughout Texas to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. While researching the topic, I discovered something that was interesting, yet bothersome. What I discovered was a Texas House member who authored 59 bills that are, in my opinion, fruitless.
     State Representative Marsha Farney, R-Georgetown, sure is making big things (sarcasm) happen for the education of Texas children during the 83rd Texas Legislative Session. She is a former educator and author of the bill requiring charter school children to pledge allegiance to the U.S. and Texas Flags. This is patriotic and well-intentioned, but doesn't Farney's proposal encroach upon the charter schools' autonomy and right to choose how to operate? Farney's bill is not to encourage the charter schools, it is a REQUIREMENT.
     It is worth noting the U.S. Supreme Court has previously ruled that students cannot be compelled to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. An argument can be made that if students cannot be compelled to recite the pledge, why should a school, school district or organization be made to do so. The Star-Spangled Banner, which is the national anthem of our country contains the words, "land of the free." I don't feel we are very free if someone is choosing for us, and requiring us to pledge our allegiance to something. The charter school system should not be required to conduct such an exercise and I feel State Representative and former educator Marsha Farney should spend her time authoring and pushing more practical bills during the Legislative Session. Which leads me to the discovery that bothers me.
     During my research I discovered numerous fruitless and frivolous bills authored by Farney. As of today, April 25th, she has authored 82 bills. 59 of those are bills recognizing, congratulating, honoring and commemorating people or places. Why is this so bothersome to me? I feel the time the Legislature is in session should be optimized and I don't call 72% of the bills before me a good effective use of time. I should also point out that though I used Representative Marsha Farney as the example, she is not the exception. We can compile a mile long list of politicians who make poor use of their time.

No comments: